Friday 18 February 2011

Oscar Rankings

1. The Social Network
Unworthy story
Decent Acting
Good Writing

2. Toy Story 3
Good way to finish TS series
Emotional connection
Good Writing

3. Winter's Bone
Unique, origional
Good Setting
Unconventional Actors

4. The King's Speech
Not very original
Very good acting
Good Lighting

5. Inception
Fasting moving, cheap thills
Entertaining, but not good movie
Mediocre acting

6. True Grit
Entertaining, unique style of dialogue
Great shots of setting, great photography in general
Jeff Bridges was his own version of cowboy

1. My number one oscar  pick is True Grit. The cinematography was beautiful, with lots of great shots. I think it had lots of great actors too, who did a good job, especially the actress who played Maddie, because she was a new comer. Jeff Bridges was great too. This should win best picture because it is unique and origional. Its different from all the other films. The Coen brothers style comes through in a way that can revive the western, instead of making another remake of an old movie. Its vibrant, with great dialouge, beautiful and heartwarming.

2. My second oscar pick is Toy Story 3. This was a really effective film for me because it didn't try and hold on to the past. The last TS was 11 years ago, and this moved on with a new pov from Andy growing up and other more mature themes. It embraced change, and that made it able to work.

3. #3 for me is Winter's Bone. I really liked it because we got to see a movie from the pov of ugly people. Usually, all the actors are really made up and pretty, but these folks are intentionally bland, grey looking, and meth faces. I liked how they changed it up. The lead actress was also really good.

4. The social network is my 4th choice. I thought it was really good because it is relevant to the times today. It is very timely. I think some of the acting is good, especially Jessie Eisenberg, and the fast talking scene. Most of the other acting was pretty bad in my mind, and the plot wasn't very interesting.  It had a bad ending too, in my mind. I didn't like the loose ends.

5. The Kings Speech was a great movie. The acting was superb. The writing was phenominal. The set and lighting was very, very, very good. The only problem in my mind is its not origional. So many movies like this have been made. Its as though it was made knowing its going into the Best Picture bid just because of the plot of the film. Royalty. Movies like "The Queen" and "Atonement" have set the standard, but by know Im just tired of it.

6. My least favorite by far was inception. It was very ok. I didn't like how silly it seemed. It was all just cheap thrills, with little educational or even deep-thinking merit. Granted, the acting was good, but its easy to act well and intensly in a fast paced movie. The plot was silly in my mind, and it could have used a lot better writing. The cinematography was very good, and so were the special effects, but in my mind, thats just not enough to make the cut. It shouldn't even be nominated.

No comments:

Post a Comment